Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 29 and Bread Pudding...

 So I had my weigh in this morning - I lost an impressive 0lbs! Yes, my little experiment was a disaster. Didn't lose a damn pound or actually I did lose 3 but it was the 3 I packed on after my cheat day last Monday. I know it wasn't actual weight, but when the scale goes up it goes up. On the upside my clothes are fitting loser so that's something. Lesson learned.

  I did get a nice little package from nuts online that I ordered a week ago. I got blanched almond flour, coconut flour, sugar free chocolate chips and some xanthan gum (they included some chia seeds for free cha-cha-cha-chia!). They have a good price on almond flour and they also carry LOTS of other different nut/seed flours. I'm no baker by any means but since low carb sugar free desserts aren't readily accessible you have to get kind of creative in the kitchen. I've been wanting to make a single serve bread pudding for awhile now. I don't really know why because it's not something I really crave when I'm not dieting but since it's an easy recipe to convert to low carb I knew I had to give it a try. I found a recipe online and swapped out the high carb items for their low carb alternatives. Here is the recipe I ended up with:
 



Single Serve Low Carb Bread Pudding!
  • 1 slice day-old low carb bread cut up in cubes (I used Carb Krunchers)
  • 2 teaspoon butter, melted
  • *1 egg slightly beaten
  • 3 1/2 tbsp Unsweetened Almond milk
  • 2 tbsp heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons splenda or equivalent sweetener of your choice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract 


Put your bread in a ramekin or other small oven safe dish.  Pour melted butter over bread. In another bowl mix remaining ingredients and pour over bread. Stir until all pieces are covered. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until top is nice and browned and springs back when you touch it.

*I quite liked the end result EXCEPT that it was a bit eggy tasting at the bottom. Next time I will try to use maybe just the yolk or half the egg instead.

 This recipe can easily be modified. I added some sf chocolate chips after I took it out of the oven, but you could add nuts, raisins, coconut, sf maple syrup, caramel syrup whatever floats your boat. If you make it please tell me how you liked it!


No comments:

Post a Comment