Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Low Carb Sugar Free Paletas de Coco!


    No other dessert evokes more memories of childhood for me than Paletas de Coco. I can clearly remember the sound of the bells as they inched closer to my house - the old man pushing the ice cream cart was the highlight of my day during the hot summers. I'm not a cook/baker by any means, but being on a low carb diet kind of forces you to get creative in the kitchen. I've been trying out different dessert recipes - most failures, until it dawned on me that I should try and makeover my all time favorite ice cream bar. The original recipe is super simple just three ingredients, but the main component was sweetened condensed milk which is basically a sugar BOMB. Then I remembered a post by Beeb over on Lowcarbfriends where she made SCM from table cream. Once that part was figured out the rest was easy peasy. Thanks, Beeb!

~*~*~Low Carb Paletas de Coco ~*~*~


What you'll need:

1 can Media Crema Table Cream (Threw the can out before I got the measurement, pretty standard though)
2/3 Cup Sweetener (I used Swerve which is basically Erythritol but measures cup for cup like sugar)
2 Tb Unflavored Whey Protein powder (I only had vanilla on hand so that's what I used)
1/2 Tb Vanilla
1 can 13.5-15oz can Coconut milk 
Unsweetened coconut shreds (optional)

*Optional add ins - Mango, Pineapple, Guava

Combine the first 4 ingredients and simmer over medium heat until it thickens - Takes a few minutes. To this mixture add the can of coconut milk, again simmer until slightly thicker another few minutes (It doesn't get super thick so don't go on thinking you need to cook it for a long time) Remove from heat and allow to cool about 10 minutes. Add as much or as little of the coconut shreds to the mixture as you like. Pour into molds and freeze.

These are very rich and creamy. Next time I will try the "Light" coconut milk from Trader Joes and see how I like them. That will shave off about 10 carbs from the total count.

Approximately 4.75 net carbs per bar

Right after I added the coconut milk

I was able to fill 4 traditional molds and 3 Rockets!

No comments:

Post a Comment